Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

New 2014 Fiesta owner

Cyclone3

City
Hibbing
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
I recently purchased a 2014 Fiesta SE Hatchback with a 5 speed manual showing under 16k miles. I primarily bought it because it had been set up for flat towing by the previous owner, plus it was a super clean Ford. Does anybody here flat tow a manual transmission Fiesta? My question is why would I need to leave the key on as the owners manual states? The power for the lights are being powered by the RV, and there is no steering column lock. Thanks for any help

OP
C

Cyclone3

City
Hibbing
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
Welcome! There was someone talking about that a couple years back. https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/flat-towing-2014-ford-fiesta.7688/
Thanks for sharing that thread, I tried searching for info but came up empty. Unless somebody has additional info that contradicts, I will leave key off, floor shifter in neutral, release parking brake, and tow away. I have a Roadmaster InvisiBrake braking system with break-away switch, all lights in sync with RV's. Still have a bit of wiring to do to isolate power systems. So leaving key in off position and away we go!

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Thanks for sharing that thread, I tried searching for info but came up empty. Unless somebody has additional info that contradicts, I will leave key off, floor shifter in neutral, release parking brake, and tow away. I have a Roadmaster InvisiBrake braking system with break-away switch, all lights in sync with RV's. Still have a bit of wiring to do to isolate power systems. So leaving key in off position and away we go!
As long as the steering wheel moves freely, you're golden.

One time long ago, a co-worker and I were behind an RV towing a Jeep. The steering was locked to one side, and the front tires were squealing. The couple driving it were oblivious. I had to talk my friend into chasing them down, but he did it.

I saved a Jeep that day. If they had gotten on the freeway like that? Disastrous.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The only reason that you will need to use that "Key" is to keep the battery system connected as mains if you use the vehicles power to run your remote lighting system. Key "on" overrides any type of monitoring - except for Alternators Regulation if left "on". Else - reason for that is the "Battery saver" the system uses to keep a drain on the system from killing the battery, it will engage and you'd lose power from the Fiesta to supply power to that remote system. Unless you directly connect that system to the battery posts - the "Brake light" will only engage for a given time and then shut off due to that ""saver" system.

OP
C

Cyclone3

City
Hibbing
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys, very helpful. All my lights on the Fiesta will be run of of the RV system, there is direct power to the Invisibrake system to run a vacuum pump that works the cylinder that applies the Fiesta brakes. The system is activated by the RV brake lights in conjunction with an inertia switch. The car battery should only come into play if the car falls off and the the brake away system activates. I didn't do the wiring myself, but it all seems to be functioning fine.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Keep us posted on this.

This sounds like a really cool way to allow the Fiesta to help with braking and steering control.

Much - like Semis do when hauling in a trailer - the trailers tandem brakes can "tug" to help you and your load slow down and when in bad weather.

In this system, it sounds like - the Fiestas' ABS system can also help you maintain control to prevent whiplash skids from making you lose control of everything. Or at least by what I read here - apply the brakes to reduce your sway from the press the extra weight behind the RV axles - can do.