Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

Leaking Gear Fluid

City
Sanderson
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2001 & 2003 4WD Rangers 4.0
Front 4WD Diff seal passenger side. I noticed it was wet and dirty while changing the center "drive" seal. After removing brakes, bearing and spindle, I am looking at a seal with a rubber "boot" sticking out. This would seem to be a dirt repeller I'd guess, and appears to be part of the seal. There is no metal lip or edge to get behind like the center position seals. Can I change this thing ? How, and what do I need to get this out and replace it.
I need to have a new one in hand, and some idea what I'm up against before going any further. I can still clean it up and put it back together at this point. Any experience or recommendations would be appreciated.
Tools needed or seal numbers even better. 2003 4wd 4.0 XLT. I don't think any bearings are bad. 250K vehicle, and is probably justified to leak. Thanks in advance!

OP
G
City
Sanderson
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #2
Front 4WD Diff seal passenger side. I noticed it was wet and dirty while changing the center "drive" seal. After removing brakes, bearing and spindle, I am looking at a seal with a rubber "boot" sticking out. This would seem to be a dirt repeller I'd guess, and appears to be part of the seal. There is no metal lip or edge to get behind like the center position seals. Can I change this thing ? How, and what do I need to get this out and replace it.
I need to have a new one in hand, and some idea what I'm up against before going any further. I can still clean it up and put it back together at this point. Any experience or recommendations would be appreciated.
Tools needed or seal numbers even better. 2003 4wd 4.0 XLT. I don't think any bearings are bad. 250K vehicle, and is probably justified to leak. Thanks in advance!
I'm making some progress. I identified the front diff. as a Dana 35. Found an exploded view and got the Spicer #'s, Passenger side 46066, Drivers 46065. I was wrong about the seal not having an edge to get behind. Just dirty and foggy glasses.(smile) I had to cross reference the Spicer #'s to an easier to find seal. It does indeed have a crazy looking "boot" on the outer side. I think I'm going to conquer this. I'll post a picture of the new seal when it arrives if I can.

OP
G
City
Sanderson
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Job is done. There is no room to install new seal right at the hub. You must find a piece of pipe or conduit to drive it in through the hole in the carriage where the bearing resides. I had to jack it up to get a straight shot with the piece of conduit. This was all done on the ground. Would be much less challenging on a lift.