Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

Wiring issues:

ScottYou

City
Moneta
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
1997 Splash, 2.3l RWD
I am not an electrician. The previous owner of my Ranger put in some hot wires in the dash to put in a aftermarket radio system. I would like to replace the complete wiring harness for the dashboard area. What part numbers do I need to do this a lot of garage is do not want to work on wiring that other people have messed with. there also seems to be a problem with the third brake light over the cab that shorts and drains the battery left on started for a few days. I have replaced the third eye hole component, but at times the cab lights will not turn out. I am assuming that is another short in another wiring harness that will need to be replaced or at least troubleshoot any assistance in getting new wiring under the dash would be most appreciated.

City
Sanderson
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2001 & 2003 4WD Rangers 4.0
A problem with the brakes can manifest itself through several decisions made by the Electronic Control Module in older Rangers.
I.E. If the ECM doesn't see the brake pedal pushed, it will cause problems getting the vehicle out of park. It can also cause intermittent
issues with cruise and 4WD. You might treat the old girl to a new brake pedal switch. Easy job and is adjustable if it wants to stay on when pedal released.
Maybe the previous owner "rode" the brakes and sizzled the contact. Wires seem to be the least likely problem. I'd think twice before I tore out the dash.
The dome light ghost is a common one on Rangers. If it's time delayed, this is also from the ECM. If it runs and drives well, be thankful.

City
Jubail
State
MO
Country
Saudi Arabia
What I Drive
Mystery MACHINE
Can I simply say what a relief to find somebody that truly knows what they're discussing over the internet. You actually realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people ought to read this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised that you are not more popular since you certainly have the gift.