Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

Truck dies when I take my foot off the gas.

Wyverex

I have a 2003 Ranger and when I left the fuel pumps and was on my way home I heard a distinct "pop" sound coming from what sounded like under the truck or under the engine but the truck kept running. About 10 seconds later I had to slow down to go over a speed bump, when I took my foot off the gas the truck immediately lost power and shut off. When I coasted to the side of the road and tried to restart the truck it would start fine but not stay running unless I kept my foot on the gas. There also is a hissing or possibly rubbing sound coming from the engine that gets louder and faster when I give it gas.

I have no idea what could be wrong. Anyone have an idea?

I have a 2003 Ranger and when I left the fuel pumps and was on my way home I heard a distinct "pop" sound coming from what sounded like under the truck or under the engine but the truck kept running. About 10 seconds later I had to slow down to go over a speed bump, when I took my foot off the gas the truck immediately lost power and shut off. When I coasted to the side of the road and tried to restart the truck it would start fine but not stay running unless I kept my foot on the gas. There also is a hissing or possibly rubbing sound coming from the engine that gets louder and faster when I give it gas.

I have no idea what could be wrong. Anyone have an idea?
You could have blown a hose somewhere.