Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

Low Budget T5 Shifter Modification

I really like my shifter that I bought/made. Years ago, Saleen sold a Hurst base without the handle. I have one of those. BUT, this mod will also work with the factory base. Now, I did this 15 years ago - so I didn't snap any photos of the work (before I owned a digital camera). What you can do, is cut the threads on the handle to where you only have a half inch of threads left. So you are cutting off approximately 3/4 inch. Making it shorter helps shorten the throw. Also, Ford, in there infinite wisdom, used a rubber bushing between the base and handle. To us, this means sloppy shifting. To Ford, it meant customers weren't going to complain about transmission noise. What you do to eliminate the rubber bushing is pony up 10 bucks and get some bushings like these from a company like UPR.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-stainless-steel-shifter-bushings.html

EDIT: I remembered that out in the shed I still have a factory handle and my original rubber bushings.

Here is the factory setup:

And this will be the finished product: