Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

97-03 F150 & Expedition Lower Radiator Compression Fitting Hose Removal

If you own an F150 or Expedition from the late 90's, you may run across what is possibly the dumbest design Ford has used since the Edsel. The lower radiator hose on some of these has a compression fitting securing the lower radiator hose to the radiator. There is no point to it, whatsoever. It does not make anything easier for install, and definitely not for taking it apart. I am writing this to show my findings to save you some time. Please feel free to ask questions, or chime in if you've experienced this removal process and have any input.

The hose is removed by turning it 45 degrees. I found this to be easiest to accomplish from the drivers side inner fender well, with my daughter holding the black splash guard away from the fitting. You must first bend the metal tab located where the number 1 is pointing. Bend it towards the motor. One other piece of info I'd like to add is, all of this was done without removing the transmission line from the radiator. If you have the right tool (see below), this can be achieved. I tried a pipe wrench, and could not get the clearance I needed between the hose and trans cooler line.

With the tab bent, the hose is able to rotate. In order to do this, I found that a 16 inch set of Channel Locks grabbing onto the hard plastic ring was the only way to get enough leverage. Work it back and forth to get it loose. Then rotate the hose until it is free enough to rotate the white line on the hard plastic ring to the slot where the metal tab formerly resided.

EDIT: Just in case some of my terms are not understandable, here is an edited version of the above picture, labeling each part.

Once here, you will need to use a pry bar to dislodge the hose from the radiator.

Work it back and forth, and I found that the groove a beneficial place to pry on as well. When it becomes free from these orange o-rings, you're home free.

And if you're smart and don't want to ever deal with this mess again, I would recommend purchasing the lower hose without the fitting, and just use a hose clamp like normal people.

This is the set of Channel Locks that I purchased from AutoZone to do the job. They were pricey ($28), but really made things go much smoother.

Duralast P/N: 77-416

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MustangShane Audio-Video, Infotainment & Electronics 0