Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Cannot select reverse

Kevbres

City
Bath
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta eco boost 2019
Hi,
I cannot select reverse gear and 5th and 6th.
It went stiff when trying to select reverse and eventually went in but now I can't select it at all. Any ideas please? I've attached a photo in case there is domething missing I don't know of. Thanks.

Attachments

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would be looking at the clutch slave cylinder or at least check the fluid level. If there is any leak in the slave cylinder or tube, the ability to make gear changes will quickly fade away.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There may be another spot you will need to check, look under the car - find the transmission housing - there are two cables that go into it - that look like the shifter cables from your photo above.

1690196239599.png

You have a similar Manual transmission but uses a shifter pattern that may not be able to work - due to those cables are not able to "reach" that set of forks anymore because of the pivot and bushing or the cable itself in the metal housing frame, is bent - possibly being struck by debris, affecting the shift pattern or ability to move the cable far enough to reach that section of gears off the selector forks.

Read this post, there's several photos of a teardown of this type of transmission in it.
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/2014-fiesta-se-4dr-no-1st-gear.9095/post-25259

Pop that cover off and see if you can find damages or the housing itself is cracked, signaling your car needs service.

Last edited: