Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Problem with cold starts

City
Cosenza
State
Non-US
Country
Italy
What I Drive
Fiesta 1.4 tdci 2004
Hello,

Basically my car sometimes won't start, to be more specific the starter does only one full crank and then stops, after which I'm forced to turn off ignition and try again.. I want to make very clear that the car DOES NOT keep cranking instead stops and, for whatever reason, after a few tries it cranks normally and starts the engine.

Car is 280.000 kms, so not exactly new and also very recently got a new battery (if I'm not mistaking is even bigger in AH than what's supposed to be OEM)

My basic idea is that the brushes on the starter motor are worn and perhaps don't do what they're supposed to do anymore and, to add more details, this happens more often when outside is cold/damp (though I'm not saying that when it's hot and dry this doesn't happen, just way less often)

I should have a video from inside the car somewhere that now I can't find but It's legit only the starter making ONE crank then stopping suddendly

thanks in advance for the attention.

Ps. When the car is warm this never happens

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
It is possible you need to replace the starter, however bad connections at the battery and starter ends of the cable can also cause intermittent issues. Also ensure the relay in the fuse box is not on the fritz.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
When you say....
When the car is warm this never happens
Has me wondering if the Starter is just old and you really should get a new one and install it.

But, this is also coming on the heels of installing a New Battery.

Kinda' makes me wonder then, If the battery was bad, how was it going bad to begin with? Was it just - old or just running into corrosion and fell dead because of the bad corroded connections? Like Alternator and Starter - since they "tie together" to handle current to and from the battery as they operate - maybe the old cables and the age of the vehicle - are showing their age.

If you haven't already done so, that Fiesta might need some TLC around those Battery connections that "breakout" from the MAIN battery contact - into a method of being like the branch of a tree - it starts off as a stem that then branches off into smaller stems and twigs leading eventual to the leaves - but the stem it started from, is the one that nourishes and transfers energy gained by the leaves to the rest of system. So whatever is developed off of it.the other systems off from it still needs the "parent" to provide the capacity to transfer that energy to and from the system.

1711766358755.png
So the battery being replaced, is the Canary in the Coal Mine - if it falls flat, time to rethink your condition and either escape to the surface - or fix the condition so your car can survive.

May also indicate other conditions like a hydro-static lock where the gasket for the cylinder head is failing and coolant is leaking thru into the cylinders - changing the cylinders compression ratio to make it harder to start - then when warmed up the evaporation of the fluid is greater than the leaking in volume of coolant - so the engine starts easier.