Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2017 ford fiesta making clicking sound while idling or driving

Ketura79

City
Waynesville
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 ford fiesta se
Hello I have a 2017 ford fiesta se automatic and has had some kind of clicking noise coming from engine. Seems to be coming from the passenger side toward maybe the front of engine not for sure thou. I will try to upload a video of the sound I recorded. Usually only makes the sound when idling or here lately now its making the sound while driving car seems to be getting worse. Only car i have worried to death its gonna break down on me.I have no more warranty on it and don't have a lot of money so trying to figure out what it is. I stopped taking it to the dealership because they like to give me the run around or don't listen to me at all and charge alot of money. I will say this it has a bad catalytic converter check engine light came on last year and the dealership wanted to charge me 2,000 dollars to repair it and of course I didn't have that so it's got that going on too. Could this be associated with that or is this a totally different problem? If anyone has had these issues or anyone knows what is going on I would love to hear your thoughts thanks!

OP
Ketura79

Ketura79

City
Waynesville
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 ford fiesta se
Thread Starter #2
Tried to upload video of sound wouldn't let me try again later!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The catalyst is a big deal. Repair that at the same time you replace both of the oxygen sensors. Bad O2 sensors destroy catalyst in short order!
A sound clip would be great. But you might want to take a look at the condition of the serpentine belt that drives the water pump and A/C, if it’s original, it might be getting frayed and shedding material.

OP
Ketura79

Ketura79

City
Waynesville
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 ford fiesta se
Thread Starter #4
I am trying to upload the sound it's making, but it won't let me says the file is too big...yea, the o2 sensors haven't been changed; I had thought all this time they needed to be, but of course, the dealership never listened to me lol now that serpentine belt your talking about actually broke about 2 months ago and I had it replaced! The sound it's making definitely sounds like it is getting worse does it mostly when idling but also while I drive at times, and then sometimes it doesn't do it at all. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side near, the front of the engine. I will try and get that sound uploaded. I am just extremely worried and stressed out cause it's my only ride for my son and me. If it goes out, we are screwed. Don't take it to the dealership no more because they don't treat me right, and I am pretty sure they sold me a lemon cause this car has had problems since day one when I bought it in 2019. All they like to do is charge me a lot of money that I don't have. They told me it would be 2,000 to fix the catalytic converter. Before all this happened, I had to take it in to get the purge valve replaced. Am I saying that right? Lol, it doesn't have a gas cap, so what was happening was every time I would put gas in it, than it wouldn't start back up. I would have to wait like 10 mins, and then it would. So it's always been something with this car. But I must try and keep it going as long as I can till I can get the money up to get another car. I appreciate all the advice I can get, really, and thank you!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
As long as your keeping to it's maintenance schedule, like oil changes and keeping an eye on the coolant and oil levels, the "ticking" sound can mean many things. Reading the dipstick for oil level and keeping an eye on the oil level is a very important thing to remember to do on a regular basis.

Have you - or anyone else for that matter, remember when Dad used to "open the hood and check the oil"?

Always did that as the Gas station - pull a towel - pull the dipstick - wipe off the oil splashed on it - to dry it, then reinsert - then pull back out - and read the level - then either went inside and bought a quart of oil and poured it in, or said something like "Oil level checks out ok" closes the hood then poured the kids and mom back in the car and took off - on their way - to the next stop on the journey?

Dad spent a lot of time listening to the kids, radio, mom and the car - for the car got him to where he's at. So he had to take care of that which got him this far...

Not too many people are still following thru on dad's ways and means let alone the advice - "Be sure to check the oil"...you don't see many people checking the oil on the cars anymore - they think it's too "old fashioned".

It's the ones you find on the side of the road or left for "dead" at repair shops that show just how much some did not care.

Gas stations are now more of a gathering place for food and free WiFi - but now you hear noises in the engine - time to remember dad's advice and what he was trying to tell you.

Would like to somehow hear that noise - so we'd be able to help guide you.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You should ask friends and coworkers if they have a mechanic they know that is honest. The Fiesta is fairly simple from a mechanical perspective. It’s the electrical and electronic equipment that requires a rather pointed skill set to troubleshoot. A competent technician should be able to figure out the root cause of the noise fairly quickly. If you do the oil changes and tire rotations and engine air and cabin filter services at least once a year, you should have an economical daily driver.
These little Fiesta’s are so fuel efficient and easy to maintain that I have decided to keep my 2011 hatchback until it crumbles or is crashed.

Orville

City
Durham City
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2010
Hello I have a 2017 ford fiesta se automatic and has had some kind of clicking noise coming from engine. Seems to be coming from the passenger side toward maybe the front of engine not for sure thou. I will try to upload a video of the sound I recorded. Usually only makes the sound when idling or here lately now its making the sound while driving car seems to be getting worse. Only car i have worried to death its gonna break down on me.I have no more warranty on it and don't have a lot of money so trying to figure out what it is. I stopped taking it to the dealership because they like to give me the run around or don't listen to me at all and charge alot of money. I will say this it has a bad catalytic converter check engine light came on last year and the dealership wanted to charge me 2,000 dollars to repair it and of course I didn't have that so it's got that going on too. Could this be associated with that or is this a totally different problem? If anyone has had these issues or anyone knows what is going on I would love to hear your thoughts thanks!
You should ask friends and coworkers if they have a mechanic they know that is honest. The Fiesta is fairly simple from a mechanical perspective. It’s the electrical and electronic equipment that requires a rather pointed skill set to troubleshoot. A competent technician should be able to figure out the root cause of the noise fairly quickly. If you do the oil changes and tire rotations and engine air and cabin filter services at least once a year, you should have an economical daily driver.
These little Fiesta’s are so fuel efficient and easy to maintain that I have decided to keep my 2011 hatchback until it crumbles or is crashed.
I've got the clicking sound.
www.dunelming.co.uk/clickie.mp4
Was it ever resolved ?

Orville

City
Durham City
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2010

Orville

City
Durham City
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2010
I'm not a mechanic but I solved my particular clicking sound.
The clicking was soft and intermittent (every 30 seconds) and it was coming from the water pump area.
The clicking went away when I turned the A/C off (on the dashboard).
It returned when I turned the A/C on again.
My car is a Ford Fiesta MK7.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
So then what you were hearing was the A/C side of the climate control - cycling on and off to keep the passengers comfortable?

Glad you found this out, by turning off the AC - it may help with the Fiesta's Fuel economy too.

Thansk for getting back with us about this.