Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Welcome newcomers, please introduce yourself!

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Thank you! I'm looking forward to learning all about my car!
Welcome, @Khobshe! I have a 2015 SE (81k miles). Love it. Fun to drive. 38-42 mpg on the freeway. Check out my build (in the signature) and also I would check out the ST forum for lots of non-performance ideas. I especially like the What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ? thread. I ran through all of that thread when I got my car about 18 months ago; it has great ideas and fun. Great bunch of folks there as well as my Fiesta friends here. How about a picture or two?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Hey y'all. New to forums.
Currently on my 3rd Fiesta (2011 totaled, 2014 totaled, 2014 still going). After totaling 2 and walking away without a scratch thought I'd try it again.
Welcome! Let's hope the 3rd one breaks the curse. :)

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I'm glad to know you walked away and still came back to Fiesta -

So, this begs the question - why choose the Fiesta?

I mean; it's not like you were skydiving - When; "If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving isn't for you".

Was it crash protection or something more exotic?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
The US requires yellow side marker lights. Ford gave all Fiestas the same weak lights here. I'd sure love a set of those, but they're really expensive. $800 US.

agurc9

City
Montevideo
State
Non-US
Country
Uruguay
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE (1.6 Sigma)
The US requires yellow side marker lights. Ford gave all Fiestas the same weak lights here. I'd sure love a set of those, but they're really expensive. $800 US.
I get that, mine is transparent with amber bulbs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kappclark

City
West Townshend
State
VT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Greetings from Southern VT -

2013 Ford Fiesta - 5 speed .. have replaced many items, but get fabulous MPG - very good in snow ... basic commuter car..fun to drive..new water pump, timing belt, compressor along with regular oil changes ..

I am really frustrated with the stereo - will not play FLAC files - must have dealer update, which is bogus ... must convert flacs to 320 MP3 to listen to music on USB ...

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Welcome to the forums. I am unsure of what support, if any, the dealership service department can provide regarding any updates to the early Sync system. My Sync is also very "out of date" i think the last update i did was in 2015.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The SYNC technology is unique and unfortunately - also outdated.

The format that FLAC files are, and how it "streams" out from the USB stick - is in a format that can't be processed by SYNC - it's literally stuck in the 2000's because of the development program and the technology platform - unless you can motivate FORD to upgrade the HARDWARE as in some kind of swap upgrade - the older SYNC is what it is.

The FLAC file format is a compression style - which usually takes more processor power and since SYNC is programmable, yes it can be upgraded to the technology, but the limitations are in how the processor can work within the confines of a processing system similar to the Apple I5 phone - limited processor power but able to play MP3's

kappclark

City
West Townshend
State
VT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
The SYNC technology is unique and unfortunately - also outdated.

The format that FLAC files are, and how it "streams" out from the USB stick - is in a format that can't be processed by SYNC - it's literally stuck in the 2000's because of the development program and the technology platform - unless you can motivate FORD to upgrade the HARDWARE as in some kind of swap upgrade - the older SYNC is what it is.

The FLAC file format is a compression style - which usually takes more processor power and since SYNC is programmable, yes it can be upgraded to the technology, but the limitations are in how the processor can work within the confines of a processing system similar to the Apple I5 phone - limited processor power but able to play MP3's
--
Thank you for the explanation - I suspected as much, but had my fingers crossed... Have started collecting my flacs, and converting them to 320K MP3 so I can listen in the car. The flacs of course play wonderfully in the newer Tacoma..also looked at replacing the radio entirely, (which I have done several times before in other vehicles, but it wld be way too expensive... will buy usb sticks instead .. is there a size limit to the stick I cld use ? Was going to get some 32G sticks on sale at NewEgg.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Sticks like 32G are about the "max" it can handle - really can handle much larger "Content" but the number of files is somewhat limited.

Think of this as FAT 16 versus FAT 32 - it can use FAT 32 in format and file structure - but it doesn't take too well of exFAT and other non-partition file formats.

IT likes partitions - so it can mount - and likes to have its number of files to tree in a directory below 5,000 files (considerably less really) so it can "index them" for display.

So a 32 Gig stick will work - but keep the numbers of files it can index simpler so the memory it needs to display is not gobbled up to take away from the resources it needs to actually process the files.

It seems to use the stick as "scratch pad memory" to a certain degree - buffering and such so when you look at "Gig" styling of the sticks - some sticks partition using smaller blocks or buffers - which seem to improve the efficiency of the stick versus a larger partition and the sticks own buffer sizes are larger - which lessens efficiency.

So smaller stick Gig sizes help the SYNC process better - and when you look at it, the SYNC platform was unleashed in the FOCUS in 08 to 09 - then rapidly progressed from there. Until DVD got phased out and Streaming and it's processing power and chips to make it work became more of the standard for Automakers to follow as options for entertainment systems.

So SYNC as a viable system - can still work but the upgrades needed to keep up with technology aren't there. Some options like Satellite will work as long as the Sirius XM format is available but others like emergency or directory of your phone - including the 911 Assist - can get hampered because much of the communication technology was 3G or less - so with 3G getting phased out - much of what Sync could do is also shut out - so you can rely on Blue tooth to some ability to extend it's lifespan - but MP3's and such are limited now - and the sticks used to keep the buffer file formats small enough to work in our vehicles is retting ready to be phased out (USB2.0 versus USB3.x - and beyond now) because we can't stop progress.

kappclark

City
West Townshend
State
VT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Thanks again for the thorough explanation ... very helpful, and a big time saver.

I have a 32G stick with a single fat32 partition ready to accept some mp3s, freshly converted from a collection of flacs. I am using Debian Linux, and do the conversions with some simple code which I found online.

https://jima.cat/convert-flac-to-mp3-on-the-ubuntu-command-line/

THX for the heads up about capacity .. I will experiment with amounts, but don't plan on a whole ton of files -- I want to listen to the music, not watch the display say "indexing..." ...

I totally accept that technology must move on, and just like Windows XP, there is no supported upgrade path...I listened to some of the 320 MP3's in the Tacoma, and even the wife said they sounded great, so this format conversion process, though tedious, will get me through my remaining time with the Fiesta..

LDove

City
Herald
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 ford fiesta S
Welcome to the Ford Fiesta Forum. Please take a moment and introduce yourself, tell us what you currently drive or just say "Hi".[welcome]

Thanks again for joining, and welcome aboard!
LDove Here I drive a 2012 fiesta S. I was told im in the wrong place..Is there a forum for just S type fiestas?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
LDove Here I drive a 2012 fiesta S. I was told im in the wrong place..Is there a forum for just S type fiestas?
You are on the right site! Welcome to the forum. What have or are you planning to do with your Fiesta?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Handy Andy General Automotive Discussions 10