Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Keeping The Party Cool! Mishimoto's Fiesta ST Radiator R&D!

mishimoto1

You asked and we heard you! Below is the coverage of our research and development process for the FiST rad. Alternatively, this content will also be posted within our engineering blog, linked below.

http://engineering.mishimoto.com/category/ford-fiesta-st-performance-aluminum-radiator-2014/

As always your feedback is welcome, let us know what you think and happy reading!

Keeping the Party Cool! Mishimoto?s Fiesta ST Radiator R&D, Part 1: Intro, Goals, and 3D Models

If you keep up with the perpetually bustling engineering team here at Mishimoto, you would have noticed our recent projects involving the Focus ST. We could not ignore this vehicle?s little brother, the Fiesta, and after numerous requests we decided it was time to start development of new performance Fiesta ST parts.

Before jumping into development, we needed a vehicle. So, we made a trip to the local Ford dealer here in Delaware and drove back in the beauty shown below.

Mishimoto Ford Fiesta ST shop vehicle

The drive home revealed a well-balanced, peppy hatchback that was quite comfortable. Although the power could use a slight bump (to be fair, I had just stepped out of a 400+ whp Evolution), I can see why many drivers are using these cars for track and for autocross (although they seem to be banned from certain classes). Not to mention, it makes a nice daily driver that separates itself from the slew of boring, beige, characterless compact cars currently on the roads.

Radiator Development and Goals

We have many great projects planned for this little hatch, one of the first being an aluminum Fiesta ST radiator. Why replace the stock radiator if it isn?t leaking? Several factors drove our decision to develop this product, but the primary contributors were enthusiast?s (your) requests. We?ve had a ton of requests for an aluminum Ford Fiesta radiator. Most of these from folks who are tracking their cars and seeing temperatures exceed 220?F. Not only are track cars seeing this, but aggressive street driving on steep grades for lengthy time periods are also resulting in hot temperatures. Some early issues were related to defective stock radiators, and many vehicle owners are still not pleased with on-track temperatures with the stock Fiesta ST radiator.

This situation can?t be ignored. Hitting the track is an absolute blast, and no one wants their lapping cut short due to high temperatures. We need to use our knowledge and experience with aluminum radiator design to bring you guys an appropriate solution.

We intend to design a full aluminum Fiesta ST radiator that provides increased capacity and improved heat transfer. We will be covering the process from start to finish here in this thread, and we will also be fully testing our product to ensure it meets the needs of the people who need it (yeah, that?s you guys!). This Ford Fiesta radiator will be a drop-in unit and will fit with all stock equipment.

Development Beginnings

Actual product development for our aluminum Fiesta ST radiator actually started prior to us even seeing the vehicle. How the heck did we manage that? Well, we were in touch with the folks from Ford and they were able to provide CAD data for the front end and engine components on the ST. A couple shots of the models are shown below.

Fiesta ST CAD model

Fiesta ST CAD model

These models provided a baseline for product design and we used many of the critical dimension of the stock Ford Fiesta radiator and surrounding components to gauge the size of our unit.

Once we had our test vehicle, we could pull it into the shop and collect final dimensional data. This includes specific tube/fin information so we can begin to decide upon the fin composition for our Fiesta ST radiator design.

Below is a look at the engine bay of our ST!

Fiesta ST engine bay

Fiesta ST engine bay

Fiesta ST engine bay

Radiator Prototype 3D Model

After pulling dimensions from both sources, we jumped right into 3D modeling and design. The prototype was assembled within the constraints of all factory-equipped Fiesta ST parts, and we soon had a completed 3D model of our radiator. Check out a few shots of the front of our Fiesta ST radiator.

Mishimoto Ford Fiesta ST Radiator 3D Model

And here?s a look at the back side (engine-facing) of our design.

As you can see from the models, we?ve retained all OEM component mounting points. This includes the fan shroud mounts, the stock radiator mounting pegs, as well as the condenser mounts. We?ve also specified a rather dense fin-and-tube construction for improved heat transfer, and we expanded the core thickness.

What?s Next?

Now that we have our initial modeling work done, it is time to construct our first prototype Ford Fiesta radiator to check both fitment and performance.

While we wait for this first prototype, we want to open the floor to any recommendations for additional features you would like to see with this radiator, or any other Fiesta ST parts. Are there any track-oriented additions or components that would help with other modifications or aftermarket engine bay components?

Let us know! Thanks for reading!

Thanks
-John

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm not sure how to ask this, or even it's a smart question or feasible... But, what about an option for an oil cooler mount and matching cooler. Kind of like a bundle.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'm not sure how to ask this, or even it's a smart question or feasible... But, what about an option for an oil cooler mount and matching cooler. Kind of like a bundle.
I was thinking the same thing about the oil cooler, but I haven't really seen what it's like in front of a stock FiST radiator to comment. Oil cooler mount tabs, etc. would be sweet if it were built into the design of the radiator for the user to add to later if they want.

meFiSTo

A more efficient, drop-in radiator sounds fantastic (albeit not cheap I'm sure). However, I think there are a number of folks interested in some kind of integrated or paired oil cooler setup as well. I know rodmoe brought it up on the other thread. That would be very useful.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Stoked for this Rad and looking forward to your R&D on a oil cooler as others have stated !!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I have a video of me overheating my fist in like 5min of aggressive driving in 72 degree weather at night.

I think you guys are going to have a great seller here !!

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
I'm in to see where this goes. I definitely see a mishmoto aluminum radiator and DHM crash bar in the not so distant future for my FiST to compliment my J-line intercooler.

Chuckable

I was thinking the same thing about the oil cooler, but I haven't really seen what it's like in front of a stock FiST radiator to comment. Oil cooler mount tabs, etc. would be sweet if it were built into the design of the radiator for the user to add to later if they want.
Was wondering about the same thing too. But the radiator is located behind the condenser, so the only way I can think of having an oil cooler provision would be to integrate it into the radiator itself with a separate cooling circuit. Not sure if there would be enough frontal area or capacity to do both.

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #14
I have a video of me overheating my fist in like 5min of aggressive driving in 72 degree weather at night.

I think you guys are going to have a great seller here !!
I'm in to see where this goes. I definitely see a mishmoto aluminum radiator and DHM crash bar in the not so distant future for my FiST to compliment my J-line intercooler.
Fantastic! Subscribed!
Couldn't wait to share with you guys, glad you're excited about this project as well!

-Sara

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #15
A more efficient, drop-in radiator sounds fantastic (albeit not cheap I'm sure). However, I think there are a number of folks interested in some kind of integrated or paired oil cooler setup as well. I know rodmoe brought it up on the other thread. That would be very useful.
Stoked for this Rad and looking forward to your R&D on a oil cooler as others have stated !!
Was wondering about the same thing too. But the radiator is located behind the condenser, so the only way I can think of having an oil cooler provision would be to integrate it into the radiator itself with a separate cooling circuit. Not sure if there would be enough frontal area or capacity to do both.
There have been a large response to this and other threads mentioning an oil cooler kit which we are most definitely going to be making! We are in the process of designing both the radiator and oil cooler at the moment and we will take into account all possible mounting locations so I can not confirm exactly where the cooler will be located at this time. However, the kit that we are planning will be direct fit for the FiST and will work with both our Performance Radiator as well as the stock radiator. I will make sure to let you know as soon as we post our R&D thread for our oil cooler!
Thanks!
-Sara

OP
M

mishimoto1

Thread Starter #16
Very interested! What kind of time frame are we looking at?
We are still very early in the development stage with the rad and we want to make sure that we bring you guys the best possible product, which means extensive testing on our part (that we will share with the forums). At this stay tuned for more updates as we get further into development and as soon as we get more solid info, such as an ETA, we will make sure you are the first to know!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great news and thanks for the PM on it as well:)

Oil cooler kit and the radiator would be a sweet combo indeed!

I have a huge amount of time in fitting a DIY setup and would of loved to just buy and bolt in the parts instead.

I am considering a second FiST as mine is becoming so modded I do not want to drive it in bad weather, to much time and money to replace, a more stock one with some nice general and cooling mods would be great fun to have.

Chuckable

In case anyone is interested, here's the link to the Mishimoto oil cooler thread on one of the FoST forums: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...us-st-oil-temps-mishimoto-oil-cooler-r-d.html

Long story short, they add a sandwich plate to the OEM heat exchanger. Looks like a very nice set-up. Not sure how it will work on our cars, though, since on the FiST the oil filter mounts horizontally so there is relatively little room to play with versus the FoST which mounts vertically and leaves more space for adding the sandwich plate. Guess we'll have to wait to see . . .