Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Follow Up - eBay Dashmat from aphonecase

Follow up to [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION] 's post here, and because I like to hoard forum points to myself by generating new threads...

The eBay(.com) equivalent listing is here.

Shipment/Packaging
It's a rolled carpet. Shipped from China. Do be careful when opening the package if you use a sharp object, or you'll slice through your dashmat. Standard eBay experience when buying things shipped from China (no hassles, problems, etc.)

Function:
It's a good/decent dash mat. It does remove the glare in the key areas and remove the glare from the driver view (and presumably the passenger view, but I've never sat there). You can also get a red trim if that's your thing, but I would guess it could cause some additional glare

HOWEVER, there's the giant MFT stereo that's uncovered and provides probably the worst glare of all the dash components. At least this glare is off to the side of the driver view with the mat installed.

Fit:
This is probably a deal breaker for a lot of people. The most noticeable, and probably the most offending part of the fit, is the portion above the center vents and around the MFT console. They must have gotten wrong dimensions, or didn't account for something. Regardless, there's too much material, which means a super ugly curve. At the very least, the ugliness is symmetrical, so it's bearable. I would probably lose it if only one side fit correctly.

Overall, the dashmat is probably too light/stiff and doesn't quite sit completely flat on all of the edges/curves of the dash, and I didn't really expect it to. For the cost, it probably does a pretty good job since it does follow some of the major curves in the dash. The other edges of the mat are actually quite nicely fit, aside from the aforementioned vents. You can probably get this dashmat to fit better if you use the velcro that's included (something like 15 or so adhesive backed pads included), but I hate the idea of having those around the dash.

It does block the windshield heater vents a bit, and there's a cutout for what I think is the Compass sensor(?). That area also doesn't sit flush very well, but it's further in the dash so w.e.

Another thing I thought was nice is that the dash is fit well enough that it doesn't move when driving. Taking spirited turns and what not haven't really thrown the dashmat at all which is a huge surprise. I didn't take it with me autocrossing though because a flying dashmat is the LAST thing I want to worry about. If you do decide to autocross with it though, probably better to put some velcro on.

Sound Deadening
I think somebody wanted to know about this from the previous thread... I didn't notice any difference with it off and on the dash. If anything, I may have lost some of the mid/high range of sound with the dashmat. I don't think it did much to quiet any engine noise in the cabin since all I really notice is the symposer, and maybe a smidge of rattles elsewhere. Budget car, budget speakers, so I could care less as long as the stereo's usable.

Summary
Buy it if you want to get rid of glare for cheap, and have something that can be easily removed. This was the only reason I bought it since the stock dash is terrible at reducing glare.
Don't buy it if you hate mediocre/poor fitment, the idea of a carpet on your dash, or want extra sound deadening.

Disclaimers:
Houston's weather has not been very kind recently, and I've also been very lazy. The shortened daylight time time hasn't really made it easier to get good comparison photos with work and all. Low light photos (in garage)=no significant glare, so take some of these pictures with a grain of salt.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
[MENTION=3251]CaptainSlow[/MENTION] Thanks. Does not look to to bad. For the wind screen vents, you mentionned they are slightly blocked. Can the holes be enlarged without wrecking or are they trimmed/embroidered?

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
There isn't any trim or embroidering for those vent holes that I can tell. Material is about 1/4"~3/8" (less than 1 cm) thick I would say? You may have some luck with using a sharp knife, but I'm not sure how clean of an edge/cut you'll get with this kind of cloth. Scissors might work, but it's a bit of an awkward cut.

The underside of the mat is a more tightly woven/cloth material (like an oven mitt maybe?) that I guess is woven together with the fuzzy stuff (sort of like felt/carpet) for glare reduction. The vents are where the mat gets the thinnest so you might want to consider that when/if planning to cut it.

Can't say I've tested the vents with/without the mat though, especially since Houston doesn't really get cold cold.