Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clunk from engine bay: dealer says it's normal

I've searched the internet over for a definitive answer to this problem, but there is no direct answer to this as I've read this could be caused by a weak rear motor mount, or there is a loose/shorn bolt somewhere. So here's my story, along with some troubleshooting videos I've taken myself to try and pinpoint the problem. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction to go with this.

So not long after I purchased the car I noticed some clunking coming from the engine bay when making shifts at low speeds. I took it to the dealership and on the test drive we couldn't recreate the noise. The tech told me it's likely just regular noise and that the car isn't very well insulated. Not very convinced, I took it home. On the way home, the clunk came back (almost as if the vehicle needed to warm up first) and I noticed that it would clunk whenever I released or depressed the clutch pedal. About a week later it had gotten slightly worse and more noticeable. I took it back to the dealer and the same tech took a look at it for me. This time he heard the noise, yet still insisted it is normal. I asked him to put it on the lift and shake it down for me for peace of mind. He did and everything seemed pretty tight. Somewhat satisfied, yet still annoyed that I would have to put up with this annoying "regular" noise on every day commutes, I took his word. Fast forward to today. It seems like it just keeps getting worse and this has never happened in any car i have ever owned. I don't even think it was present in the other ST's I had test driven before making my purchase. So I'm going to take things into my own hands. Before throwing money at my brand new car, I want to see what other people think it is. I'm tired of the noise and I just want it gone. Here are some videos I took of the noise.

Here is what it sounds like inside the cabin (a little louder in peron) it makes a clunk in every gear when releasing the clutch. There is a slight clunk when shifting, but I'm sure that's just the gear selector doing it's thing. The clunk seems to be louder when reversing and in 3rd gear. You can hear me pushing the clutch in and out multiple times to recreate the noise.

https://youtu.be/UelDxEXFoFU

Here is a view of what's going on at the RMM when put under a load when at a stop.

https://youtu.be/v7P3uBOiZgM

Just to verify, it looks as if the suspension/steering components look tight, nothing feels loose while driving either.

https://youtu.be/2DIWCQfNHLo

Just for good measure, here's what the driver's side top motor mount is doing. Definitely doesn't sound like anything is coming from the top.

https://youtu.be/ecSVQBRPDcw

Another view of the RMM.

https://youtu.be/xZViiG1Y7Xo

The intermediate shaft also appears to be secure. Thank you for any help you can give me on this. The dealership isn't going to do anything about this. I'm going to have to figure this out myself.

OP
B
Thread Starter #2
Also, the clunk is now slightly noticeable at highway speeds. The dealership told me I shouldn't waste my money buying an aftermarket mount.

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
It will also clunk when rolling on the throttle or letting off abruptly.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
The RMM looks completely normal in the videos and doesn't appear to be the source of your sound, but it's obviously impossible to discern direction from a video. The only thing I heard was the sound of the pressure plate getting repeatedly slammed into the flywheel.

Tl;dr-Sounds normal to me.

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
I figured it was normal. The RMM really doesn't flex that much and the engine isn't rocking that much. I've never had a pressure plate make any noise whatsoever in any of my other vehicles. I know this vehicle also has a dual mass flywheel. The noise this thing makes is just really odd to me.

mine clunks while shifting also. with stock rmm and cobb rmm. i think its just a clunky shifter. im looking into boombas short shift adapter and base bushings soon. we will see if that helps. good luck

Also, after installing the cobb rmm the clunking from the stock floppy rmm cleared up but not the clunky shifting

I am running the boomba shifter plate, but besides the added weight and shorter shifting throw I also notice the clunking noise as you described and documented. I am also running the stock RMM but will be installing the Cobb one later today or tomorrow. Although it seems that this upgrade will not minimize the clunking I can let you know what results I notice.

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
Ok. Yeah mine clunks when shifting to a different gear, but it also clunks when I depress or let out the clutch/roll on and off the throttle. I'm hoping a motor mount from Cobb or mountune will take care of the latter, because from my symptoms I'm guessing it's the RMM, even though it doesn't look warn, it may be smacking into the subframe from being weak (which is what it looks like)

OP
B
Thread Starter #11
Definitely let me know. Although mine does clunk when shifting, I'm not so much worried about that as I am when operating the clutch and throttle. I figure even if I didn't need a new motor mount, it won't hurt to upgrade to a Cobb since I'm planning on doing some upgrades at some point anyway.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I thought I remember somebody saying awhile back that it's just a noisy shift linkage? Think they greased it up while installing a LSD and said it went away. I'll look and see if I can find the thread.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Ok. Yeah mine clunks when shifting to a different gear, but it also clunks when I depress or let out the clutch/roll on and off the throttle. I'm hoping a motor mount from Cobb or mountune will take care of the latter, because from my symptoms I'm guessing it's the RMM, even though it doesn't look warn, it may be smacking into the subframe from being weak (which is what it looks like)
It doesn't look like your RMM is bottoming-out on anything and it would pretty much have to be ripped to pieces to be the cause of that noise given how lightly you're stressing it in the video. Practice letting out the clutch more softly when shifting.

OP
B
Thread Starter #14
I know how to shift. The way I let the clutch out in this video was just guaranteeing the noise I've been hearing whether I slip the clutch of not. The rubber part doesn't look messed up. It's the outside that looks like it's moving and smacking the sub frame.

OP
B
Thread Starter #15
I hear the shift linkages, however, the noise you're mostly hearing is the clutch operation. It sound almost identical to the shift linkage.

So I got my Cobb RMM installed yesterday afternoon. Here are my very initial impressions:
1. Just after the first start, sitting in idle, I immediately noticed that there was some vibration that wasn't there before. After the first two neighborhood errands I began to notice it less. My guess is that I was getting use to it. I have also heard that RMMs break-in over time. In any case, I am happy with the upgrade and would recommend this to everyone. There are stiffer RMMs, but for me I've nailed it with this one.

2. Now, as for the gear shift clunking I was accustomed mostly in shifts from 1 > 2 and 2 > 3 I have to say they are gone or mitigated to the point that I am hardly noticing it. Second reason I am happy with the upgrade.

3. And number 3 is the charm...I get to focus on playing and enjoying Adam's mapping (currently the 91 Oct version). There is nothing like eliminating distractions from the equation.

Now get out there and get your FiST fix!

Have a great weekend.

BlackFiST -- I have identical sound to yours and likewise was initially worried about it, but then I watched one of the car review vids featuring the fiesta st and the reviewer mentioned the same thing on his new review car and I could hear it in his review vid so since then I stopped worrying and just enjoy the car -- I recommend you do same! :)

OP
B
Thread Starter #18
Thanks for the reply! Everything I've read on every other post has pointed to the RMM, aside from the occasional loose/broken bolts. I just wanted to get some input from people that have had the same issues as I've been having before putting parts on to my car. I'll be putting on a new Cobb RMM hopefully in the next month or so and I'll reply with what my results are, and possibly a video showing the differences for anyone having the same issues (I also talked to the dealership and they told me an aftermarket motor mount will not void the warranty). Again, thanks for getting back to me on this issue.

OP
B
Thread Starter #19
Oh I've definitely enjoyed it, every once in awhile it starts getting on my nerves though haha. Might as well replace the motor mount now, as I'll do it sooner or later anyway. It won't hurt anything.