Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Screaming fan

Globby

City
Torquay
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2011 Edge TDCI
Hi,

Any ideas please ?

Had a new water pump fitted in March and recently but only occasionally I get a bit of smoke and the fan starts spinning like it's out of control, no sign of overheating, fan turns of seconds after turning engine off.

Thanks

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Welcome to the forum. This site is primarily for the North American market Fiesta. But it sounds like you are having a cooling fan failure. It has nothing to do with the water pump having been replaced recently. A new fan and shroud assembly is not a difficult thing to install. Cheers!

Dannd46

City
Wickford
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Zetec s tdi 2007
Hi fella , any tips on how to stop cooling fan after ignition off as it won’t untill battery goes flat .. cheers

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Hi fella , any tips on how to stop cooling fan after ignition off as it won’t untill battery goes flat .. cheers
The fan is switched on/off by the temp sensor. So, if the fan keeps running, the switch is not turning it off (it should switch off when the temp drops regardless of ignition on/off); it's the first thing to check or replace.

Dannd46

City
Wickford
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Zetec s tdi 2007
The fan is switched on/off by the temp sensor. So, if the fan keeps running, the switch is not turning it off (it should switch off when the temp drops regardless of ignition on/off); it's the first thing to check or replace.

Dannd46

City
Wickford
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Zetec s tdi 2007
Top man .. I put on diagnostic but didn’t pick it so thanks , needed to know where to start .. 👍🏻

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
1619119253396.png
For 2018 Fiesta...1.6L
Might want to check the Fan and make sure the blades do turn - if it burned out the switch, it can also take out the Relay!

As a note of caution - Please disconnect the BATTERY if you decide to work on the vehicle - for the fan may kick on once a relay is replaced or any work done to the area that can "Jarr-loose" and force a potential circuit to kick on - can make the fan blades spin - and can injure you or hurt the car.

Why do I say "jarr-loose"? Because of the LOCATION of the Radiator FAN wiring Ground is located BELOW the Air and Battery BOX!

If this area is corroded - the WIRE HARNESS supplying current to operate the FAN, the Amperage the wire is capable of carrying is strong enough to MELT the insulation off the wires and the two wires routed to the fan can melt and SHORT together - causing another problem - this same event can happen at the Thermal SWITCH - again melting both wires together forming a completed circuit and forcing the Fan to run constantly until the battery is dead.

Check grounds especially here...UNDER the air box and battery box - yes, you'll have to remove the Airbox, Battery and it's Box and even the PCM to gain access to this bolt to fix or repair the ground tied to it.

1619120047595.png

Last edited: