Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Media Button stopped working

Teke

City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Fiesta
So my fiancé’s sister just got a 2017 Fiesta a month ago. Last week her media button stopped working. You press the button and it goes to the sync media screen for like 1 second and then goes back to the radio. Anyone dealt with this? She said she pulled the fuse and disconnected the battery to try and reset it. I can’t seem to find anything on this issue. We can’t even get to the master reset on sync because it won’t on the sync page for more than a second. Any help is appreciated.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
That symptom, may indicate several things.

Did the USB stick get bumped - that can affect the seating and communication it has with your head unit? IF it is not seated - it can't tell the system something is there (I'm Here!)

If it's an iPhone or Android player, make sure you have the player on - the USB port can recharge, but the engine needs to be started - just can't put the key in or hit Start/Stop just to tun on ACC

Although nothing too serious as far as drivability the issue sounds more like what I call "French fry syndrome" - it's where dirt, debris or finger grease gets into the keypad and shorts out the key it's lodged by or underneath - forcing the entertainment system to "think" someone's holding a key down.

But if there is a chance that you have a stuck "ok" button key or some key on the pad both left or right side of the main volume control - just do a good cleaning with a mild soap (dawn or dishwashing type - not a lotionized or aloe based) weak solution on a simple dishwashing rag and wipe down the keypads thoroughly to try and free up the keys so you can check operation. Don't "soak" the keypad, just wipe it - and vacuum too if you have a unit that has a crevice tool or soft brush to try and pull out or reseat the keys on that pad properly. May have to repeat the process - even (no offense) body hairs and fingernails as well as the body oils, can affect the operation of the keypad - some body lotions are pretty aggressive when it comes to softening plastic.

Once that's done, also look for deformed trim around it - it may indicate a keyboard failure from physical damage onto the sunlight warping the dash keypads rendering them unusable.

If the USB port is still ok, and no physical damage to the socket - try a different USB "stick" to see if the SYNC system will try to recognize it. Although unlikely - a pulled fuse or interrupted "index" function by pulling the battery trying to attempt a reset - can damage the USB stick and if SYNC sees the "ID" and file system of the stick - it may think it's corrupted and not even try to use it. Skipping over the function and returns back to the previous one it defaulted to.

Just some ideas from a Sync user...

Last edited: