Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Hatchback will not open

brdr414

City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Hi everyone, thanks for taking a look at this to begin with. I backed my 2014 Fiesta Hatchback into a table in my garage about a year ago and ever since I can not get the hatch to open. Whenever I press the button on the door or on my key, the locking mechanism on the door just makes a little buzzing noise and nothing else happens. Anybody have a clue how to fix this? Thanks again.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I'm stumped. Must have bent something.

Jo Ann

City
Waterford
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta SE
If you haven't tried to physically lift it up to open it, I would try that carefully. I had the trunk lights go on for my hatchback that it wasn't closed but it was. I couldn't get it open with the key button and my mechanic got it open by lifting the trunk up manually and then he put some lubricant on the rubber around it. Maybe it is just stuck. Good luck with it!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You can see if the "latch" mechanism is stuck.

The Whirling sound is from the latch mechanism - motor - the pawl to gear is broken.

Sometimes when they are slammed down rather hard, the rubber seals will scuff and stick. The latch can jam and overthrow the pawl - now you've got a motor gear and pawl that are not meshing to release the latch.

You may need to put some pressure on the hatch gate while you press the release button - then lift or "bounce" the hatch (while keeping the button Pressed) to see if the rubber weather stripping is stuck - making a strong seal - need to break that bond. Might have to do this several times - just to break a seal that formed.

Then for the next time, use a simple cooking oil or silicone spray on a rag and wipe the rubber and look for the "scuff ring" and wipe there too - to keep it pliable. We're in Midwest so the humid nights into the sunlit hot days - can cause similar problems like you are having with stuck doors - not from binding - the seal and heat along with the humidity adds up to a case of glued shut moments.

Have that happen more than once leaving a car just washed out in the sun - the water dried, but left a seal - like a tub ring - where the door met the weather-stripping.