Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TPMS Light question

I put my winter wheels and tires on today. :( They do not have TPMS sensors installed.

Interesting thing is after some driving ~10 miles or so and the Tire light has not come on. I get the bulb check on startup but no illumination.

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
For the system to check it has lost the sensors its a little on the slow side, about 10 to 30 minutes. It would be faster if the sensor was present saying it was low. And if you are parking the car near the summer wheels that have the sensor it would reset until you drive away from it. This will usually be the scenario that causes the longest delay to register the sensor loss.

Zissou

When I put my winter set on the tpms fault never comes on until I get on the highway to leave town. Last year I made it over a week just around town. Got on the highway and it was on after roughly 10 miles

Zissou

You know what would be super cool? Is an option to hide that warning through the Cobb tuner. Like a check box for "No TPMS" for some settings when uploading a map to defeat that.

I park next to my summer tires with the TPMS in them in my garage. I get to experience the joy of it dinging and flashing and coming onto the screen at least once a week. It's great for helping to keep me alert while driving on the highway! Anyone know what the range of TPMS sensors is btw? I might move the tires to solve my problem...

meFiSTo

For the system to check it has lost the sensors its a little on the slow side, about 10 to 30 minutes. It would be faster if the sensor was present saying it was low. And if you are parking the car near the summer wheels that have the sensor it would reset until you drive away from it. This will usually be the scenario that causes the longest delay to register the sensor loss.
Hmmm. This is interesting. I have a set of summer wheels with TPMS sensors piled up next to my winter set (stock wheels with AW tires on). Recently, my winters set off the low tire pressure monitor alert and I figured it was a false error, but was not sure what was going on. I checked the pressure and low and behold, all the tires were sitting about 26 psi. Now it is has been getting cold, so I'd figure them to be off a bit. i filled them to spec (these are 205/40-17s) so I matched the numbers on the car door 39/36. However, the fault has persisted. Do I need to "do" something? Seemed to be fine before and I believe they are properly mated to the associated wheel location. I do hardly drive the car.

Zissou

I park next to my summer tires with the TPMS in them in my garage. I get to experience the joy of it dinging and flashing and coming onto the screen at least once a week. It's great for helping to keep me alert while driving on the highway! Anyone know what the range of TPMS sensors is btw? I might move the tires to solve my problem...
Oh yeah I was going to post about this. I fool my tpms sensors this way. I don't have tpms sensors in my winter wheels but can fool the sensor into thinking they are there. I have my summer wheels in the garage next to my car (maybe 2 ft from the back driver side wheel). I keep those summer tires pumped up (they hold pressure well enough so I don't ever have to touch them) so the tpms sensor in them is happy. My tpms light only comes on when I leave town. Most of my driving is around town so I essentially never have the sensor fault error message flash.

So that range has got to be a couple feet.

Zissou

To follow up what I posted earlier... I got the tape measure out when I got home. At the closest my summer set of wheels sit 3' from my rear driver side wheel. That's at the closest I typically park and it's close enough to trick the TPMS into think it's on the car.

Zissou

Just had another thought, sorry for the multiple posts. What if we were to put a tire with a TPMS in it as the spare tire? Does the OEM wheel and tire fit in that cavity? Keep that spare pumped up and it ought to trick the sensors right? I'm good about checking my tire pressures regularly (part of being a motorcyclist) but I always forget to check that spare. It wouldn't be bad to have a sensor on the spare; I can monitor the tires on the car myself.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Just had another thought, sorry for the multiple posts. What if we were to put a tire with a TPMS in it as the spare tire? Does the OEM wheel and tire fit in that cavity? Keep that spare pumped up and it ought to trick the sensors right? I'm good about checking my tire pressures regularly (part of being a motorcyclist) but I always forget to check that spare. It wouldn't be bad to have a sensor on the spare; I can monitor the tires on the car myself.
Need 4 sensors to "fool" the unit.

Hmmm. This is interesting. I have a set of summer wheels with TPMS sensors piled up next to my winter set (stock wheels with AW tires on). Recently, my winters set off the low tire pressure monitor alert and I figured it was a false error, but was not sure what was going on. I checked the pressure and low and behold, all the tires were sitting about 26 psi. Now it is has been getting cold, so I'd figure them to be off a bit. i filled them to spec (these are 205/40-17s) so I matched the numbers on the car door 39/36. However, the fault has persisted. Do I need to "do" something? Seemed to be fine before and I believe they are properly mated to the associated wheel location. I do hardly drive the car.
The Feista can only learn 4 sensors at a time. On some other vehicles (Ford Edge ) it can learn 8 (4 summers, 4 winters). So unless you relearn the set of tires that are on the car you will have the fault when you get out of range and will not clear until 20 some miles of driving within the range of the sensor. Some may also throw a code if you rotate the tires as the range of the sensors have changed (part of the order of learning the sensors). I personally never had that problem but I have heard of it.

Just installed a new set of tires and wheels on my FiST without the TPMS in them and i have about 200 miles on them now and no light has come on. I do not park near the original tires so I'm not sure what is up with mine. On one hand I'm happy there is no light on the other I'm worried that something is not working like it should.

Zissou

Just installed a new set of tires and wheels on my FiST without the TPMS in them and i have about 200 miles on them now and no light has come on. I do not park near the original tires so I'm not sure what is up with mine. On one hand I'm happy there is no light on the other I'm worried that something is not working like it should.
If those 200 miles are all short trips then I experience the same thing. When I run the winter set with no tpms the light doesn't come on until I drive for about 20 min, so usually when I leave town. Parking next to my summer wheels in the garage clears that light, as it picks up those sensors.