Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Door Open Warning

Tmc68

City
Fisherville
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Hello. I wanted to see if anyone can help with a rather strange issue. I bought a 2013 Fiesta with a rebuilt title. The seller told me he had changed the latch in the right rear door, which was the door they replaced, to try to remedy the “right rear door open” warning that comes on every time you begin motion. He recommended replacing that door wire harness since latch replacement wasn’t the issue. I bought the car as is and recently replaced the wire harness in that door. Now, here’s what is weird…I can turn the ignition on, open and close that door repeatedly, and the red icon on the instrument cluster goes on and off at it should. But, as soon as I hop in the car and take off, I get the right rear door open warning in the radio, and it turns the dome lights on. This repeats after clicking “OK” and every time I stop at a light, etc. So if the icon in the instrument cluster goes on and off, I would think the PCM should know the door is closed. It’s almost as if the PCM is confused because that door sat with that latch open before they replaced that door. I tried to reset the PCM disconnecting the battery for an hour, but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Does the REAR DOOR AJAR light occur at the same time the Door Lock light "clicks" or locks the doors (about 12MPH or 15kmH) or thereabouts? You can be stationary, but the moment you put in DRIVE the system attempts to lock the doors - then since that one door is not wired correctly - WHAM - sets the condition when it can sense the lock is confirmed engaged.

What I'm thinking is the wiring yes, but in the door frame or that door harness - it could mean the door lock isn't being thought of as engaged - so it thinks the door is ajar because it's not verifying that the lock is "latched"

OP
T

Tmc68

City
Fisherville
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
Hello. I wanted to see if anyone can help with a rather strange issue. I bought a 2013 Fiesta with a rebuilt title. The seller told me he had changed the latch in the right rear door, which was the door they replaced, to try to remedy the “right rear door open” warning that comes on every time you begin motion. He recommended replacing that door wire harness since latch replacement wasn’t the issue. I bought the car as is and recently replaced the wire harness in that door. Now, here’s what is weird…I can turn the ignition on, open and close that door repeatedly, and the red icon on the instrument cluster goes on and off at it should. But, as soon as I hop in the car and take off, I get the right rear door open warning in the radio, and it turns the dome lights on. This repeats after clicking “OK” and every time I stop at a light, etc. So if the icon in the instrument cluster goes on and off, I would think the PCM should know the door is closed. It’s almost as if the PCM is confused because that door sat with that latch open before they replaced that door. I tried to reset the PCM disconnecting the battery for an hour, but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?
In addition to the fore mentioned, I’ve discovered after disabling the autolock feature that this warning doesn’t pop up. However with carjackings up like they are I’d rather not drive around with my doors unlocked.

OP
T

Tmc68

City
Fisherville
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #4
Does the REAR DOOR AJAR light occur at the same time the Door Lock light "clicks" or locks the doors (about 12MPH or 15kmH) or thereabouts? You can be stationary, but the moment you put in DRIVE the system attempts to lock the doors - then since that one door is not wired correctly - WHAM - sets the condition when it can sense the lock is confirmed engaged.

What I'm thinking is the wiring yes, but in the door frame or that door harness - it could mean the door lock isn't being thought of as engaged - so it thinks the door is ajar because it's not verifying that the lock is "latched"
Hi I just saw this reply. I never got an email as I thought I may get when someone replies. So I came here to reply to my original post. I disabled the autolock feature and this warning stopped coming on. So doors locked, warning occurs, doors unlocked no warning at all. And what’s interesting there’s been a total of 3 different latches (one was a new aftermarket one) and 2 wiring harnesses. It’s like the PCM or ECU is confused thinking ONLY in the locked state that the door is open. I didn’t state very clearly as I looked back at what I wrote but the car sit for a while with the original door caved in and the latch was probably ajar for quite some time. Thanks for your reply and and thoughts you may have! I’m fairly good with cars electronics but this one has me stumped! I have to leave my dome lights removed for sake of them staying on for what ever the "time out" period is while the car is locked. So it only thinks the door is open when it's locked for some reason. When unlocked you can open and close that door forever and the red icon in the instrument cluster will turn on and off as it should. Just so strange.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
"Body Control Module" bad or bad connection? When the door was replaced, did it also get the hinges? This is where all the adjustment is, except for the striker. Being a repaired car, can you see any shims under the Hinge to B post or hinge to door shell? Or maybe some shims or washers under the bolts holding the striker in position? There shouldn't be anything like that. They should be flush to the vehicle. Like the ones clinging to this wrecked fiesta i am slowly picking clean. 20220610_172249.jpg 20220610_172232.jpg 20220610_173835.jpg

OP
T

Tmc68

City
Fisherville
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #6
"Body Control Module" bad or bad connection? When the door was replaced, did it also get the hinges? This is where all the adjustment is, except for the striker. Being a repaired car, can you see any shims under the Hinge to B post or hinge to door shell? Or maybe some shims or washers under the bolts holding the striker in position? There shouldn't be anything like that. They should be flush to the vehicle. Like the ones clinging to this wrecked fiesta i am slowly picking clean. View attachment 6542 View attachment 6543 View attachment 6545
Thanks! It appears to me they used the original hinges and striker. No shims anywhere. So would you think the Body Control Module may have failed due to sitting for some period of time with the original latch possibly pulled out and broken position causing me this issue? I had no idea until your reply what a BCM was, lol. Found some used on ebay already. New one's are rather pricey. OR would you think I can have my current body control module flashed at a Ford dealer to fix the problem? And thanks again!

Attachments

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You also may have a "Devils fork" it is an alignment pin/socket so the door closes.

Located on the bottom of the door - there is an oblong hole...

1654906360868.png

And this little "fork"
1654906413821.png

That as you close the rear doors, they match up...
like this...
1654906469162.png
So, check the alignment of these two - I believe it works a sensor so this may have a influence on your issue.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
BCM are not flash programmable to my knowledge. They are more like a signal distribution hub.
Maybe the sensor inside the latch assembly is not working. A normal diagnostic process goes through each component to verify it's functionality. We are just hitting some high probability points here that might be present because it was a damaged car in that area.
I doubt that the BCM would fail due to setting dormant.

OP
T

Tmc68

City
Fisherville
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #9
You also may have a "Devils fork" it is an alignment pin/socket so the door closes.

Located on the bottom of the door - there is an oblong hole...

View attachment 6548

And this little "fork"
View attachment 6549

That as you close the rear doors, they match up...
like this...
View attachment 6550
So, check the alignment of these two - I believe it works a sensor so this may have a influence on your issue.
I’ll take a look. Thanks!

OP
T

Tmc68

City
Fisherville
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #10
BCM are not flash programmable to my knowledge. They are more like a signal distribution hub.
Maybe the sensor inside the latch assembly is not working. A normal diagnostic process goes through each component to verify it's functionality. We are just hitting some high probability points here that might be present because it was a damaged car in that area.
I doubt that the BCM would fail due to setting dormant.
Thanks. Yeah it’s had a total of three latches and the door wire harness replaced. I really appreciate yours and Andy's input. I guess I could get a used BCM to see if that fixes it I suppose. I didn't even know what a BCM was so you've given me somewhere to go with it. Thanks!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
This "fork" is for crash protection.

From the conversations I've had with others - and only reason why it came up was due to an injury - someone got into an accident with one of these (Fiestas) and one of the rear doors that fork was "popped" outwards - it is "our thoughts" (being the group I discussed this with including the accident "victim") was they are to engage when a side or rear impact can force the door to pop ajar and the tines then catch to prevent the occupants from slipping under and falling out - the fork just keeps the door aligned and if enough force is applied from the accident, the fork is forced into the door jamb - the springback from impact does not let the door open.

So, if it doesn't have this - then the latch wiriing to show it's locked may be damaged or the BCM is faulty.

OP
T

Tmc68

City
Fisherville
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #13
This "fork" is for crash protection.

From the conversations I've had with others - and only reason why it came up was due to an injury - someone got into an accident with one of these (Fiestas) and one of the rear doors that fork was "popped" outwards - it is "our thoughts" (being the group I discussed this with including the accident "victim") was they are to engage when a side or rear impact can force the door to pop ajar and the tines then catch to prevent the occupants from slipping under and falling out - the fork just keeps the door aligned and if enough force is applied from the accident, the fork is forced into the door jamb - the springback from impact does not let the door open.

So, if it doesn't have this - then the latch wiriing to show it's locked may be damaged or the BCM is faulty.
Thanks very much! I see about the fork thing, that’s interesting. This car has now had a total of three latches and the harness replaced. Has to be the BCM, which I was unaware of until these posts. Thanks so much again!