Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

Amplifier Rebuild Thread

I've got an old school amp that wasn't quite sounding like it used to. It popped the fuse last time I had it in my Mustang. However, it came right back on after I replaced the fuse, but seemed to go downhill at that point. I've owned it since approximately 1998, and it's always been a great little amp. The brand? Craig. It's a 2 channel 250 Watt amp. I know, it's not your top of the line amp, but it's far from being junk.

So the other day I took a moment to pop it open and see if anything was obviously wrong with it. I popped the cover plate off of one side, and found this .1uf 100V poly film (aka chicklet) cap that had literally blown it's lid.

I also found 3 of the can style capacitors, 2200uf 35V, are leaking. If you look at the large Daewoo 2200uf cap just to the left of the coil, you will see the black stuff that has been oozing out of the bottom.

Another pic of the leak.

So, what to do?

Order new caps! So, I did just that. I have received the replacement 2200's, just not .1's. I researched which caps are best for audio applications, and these Nichicon Golds' seemed to be the choice for most people. I also stepped up the voltage to 50V. Anyway, I'll dig into this all at once, and go over the repair in more depth. Hopefully this can help someone on the forum in the future. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

One of the new Nichicon Gold Caps.

OP
MustangShane
Thread Starter #2
Got her all back together, and it sounds great. I tried to get the stuff the capacitors leaked off of the board, but it wasn't going to happen without more damage than it was worth.