Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

98 Ranger with rear wheel brake having slight drag (1 wheel only)

rhahn

Greetings: I have a ?98 Ranger with about 250K miles. Recently I serviced the rear brakes. The following parts are brand new: brake hardware (springs, etc), shoes, wheel cylinders, and drums.
Currently, there is an issue with a very slight pulsating ?drag? on the right rear wheel. Problem does not appear right away when starting the vehicle cold, but develops gradually after a few miles. Problem is not apparent on the left side.
I have done the following in an attempt to remedy:
1) Measured the radial runout on both drums. The left side read about 0.016?, and the right side (the pulsating side) measured about 0.030?. I don?t know what the runout specification is. I went ahead and got another replacement drum for the right side, with radial runout approximately equal to the left side.
2) I have visually verified, several times, that the brake adjuster screws on both sides are all the way ?in?, to allow max shoe to drum clearance. I have also verified that these are installed correctly.
3) I have verified that the short-sector shoe is on the front, and the long-sector is on the rear, on both sides.
4) I even tried shaving a bit of the brake lining off of the shoe, at the location which is dragging on the drum.
5) In an attempt to eliminate the parking brake as a possible cause, I have physically disconnected the parking brake linkage from both rear wheels.
Despite the above steps, the problem persists. Any ideas? Thanks