Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

6.5 inch Tang Band W6-1139SIF Subwoofer Review

I wanted to do a review on this sub to answer a couple of questions I had prior to my purchase, but they were unanswered or inaccurate. First off, I have a limited amount of space in my F150 for a sub. So I wanted to find the most compact sub with a frequency response down in the 30's. This sub fits every aspect of my search, but I wish it would handle a little more juice. It handles 100W max, 50W RMS. I do expect this to be REAL watts, not a sub that is rated at am extremely high frequency. This sub can be had for around 50 US Dollars. I picked mine up through www.parts-express.com but I have seen these on Amazon and Ebay as well. This review is a work in progress so stay tuned. Now to some photos.

The sub, in all of her glory.

As you can tell, this is not a lightweight. I've had 8's that didn't weigh this much.

I also measured it at 4.3 ohms.

This was a confusing measurement I got. Tang Band advertised this as having a 4.33 inch mounting depth. I measure 3.875 inches as what I consider to be the mounting depth.

I suppose I had better resnap this photo again next time. I measured this at a total of 7 inches across. Looks like I moved the measuring tape a bit when I snapped the pic.

I also got 6.5 inches, center to center, between adjacent mount holes.

The outer diameter of the rolled surround is 6 inches.

There is a vent system that goes all the way through the magnet. This is something I really found impressive. It goes all the way through to the cone.

Looking through to the back side of the cone.

OP
MustangShane
Thread Starter #2
I just ordered another one of these. Right now I have it in a sealed box, but I'd like to make a t-line box for the 2 subs to hang out.

OP
MustangShane
Thread Starter #4
This is the sub I've already got in a sealed fiberglass box. I really wish the mic wouldn't distort, because this sounds really clean. On a side note, I've had this amp since about 1996, and it has always had plenty of power, and very clean. I noticed that when I used it for this application, it seemed to not be as powerful as before. So I got a Zapco Z100 that I replaced it with. I took it apart a couple of days ago and found the 3 big caps are all leaking all over the board, and one of the poly film caps had exploded. Somehow the old thing kept working.

Here's the amp pushing the sub.
[video=youtube;MZXgcpoOFcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZXgcpoOFcI[/video]

OP
MustangShane
Thread Starter #7
Yes it does. These little puppies are starting to get noticed. This video is a 5 1/4" in a t-line.

[youtube]QqrG4IDldRk[/youtube]

OP
MustangShane
Thread Starter #9
Yeah it is. All of these people are putting them in huge boxes, and they perform extremely well. Unfortunately, I do not have that luxury.