Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Max stock camber

City
seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I have started to notice my front tires are getting worn on the outside pretty aggressively with the type of performance driving I like to do, I think I need more camber. Does anyone know much negative camber can you get out of a stock fiesta front end?
Thanks!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Adding Camber? Yikes!

Positive Camber - the top of the wheel sticks out the top of the wheelwell.(or bottom of the wheel appears to lean into the floor under the car)

Negative Camber - the top of the wheel (or tire) leans or tucks into the wheelwell, and the bottom of the tire seems to sag outwards - away from the car.
1696897600264.png
So this asks the next question.

What size bolts are you using for the Strut - to - Knuckle?

If stock - they are M10 X 2 - if you use M8 X 2 (combination sizing) - then the lean you get is as much as 5 degrees - you want more?
1696898810295.png
The OEM Ford bolt uses a "shoulder" in which the Strut bolt seat and the hole opposite - are sized slightly different - the SHOULDER side of the bolt lets the head sit flush to the flange - while if you put it in the wrong direction - the shoulder is designed to prevent you from "seating" the bolt flush using hand pressure if you insert the bolt into the wrong hole per direction. Simply reverse it. That is...if you're using STOCK OEM (Motorcraft) spec struts. - the thread size lets the bolt in, but to seat it correctly and keep OEM alignment - the Bolts shoulder needs to seat with little effort so the shoulder spacing and the Struts own clearance to the bolt - are snug and so it keeps the OEM alignment degree setting.

When the outside of the tire is wearing - and they are on the front - that means you have a lot of positive camber and the knife edge is really on the shoulder of the tread and causes this wear pattern.

But too, are you checking Toe in and Toe out? This can cause the tire to scrub the road wearing that shoulder and eventually the sidewall, to a point of failure. You'll need them serviced/replaced soon enough.

Also - Caster - the forward thrust from the top of the strut and it's steering axis - if your Toe is not equal or balances, as in; zero-nuts dead on - your tires as well as the suspension - will need a lot of help sooner than you think. The unequal lean of the caster will pull the car up or down a crown of the road as it tries to track and offset the thrust caused by the uneven road surface so it thinks it needs to "climb" a hill only as a very long slant of incline - and a constant one at that...
1696898121557.png

So when you say, need more Camber - you mean to correct the lean? Or you want to make the tire lean more in the direction it already is?

So to pull the tire and wheel rim straight up and down - best to replace the Strut - to - Knuckle bolts back to stock M10 size so the OEM lean the strut is "designed for" is corrected - that usual lean is no more than 1 to 1.5 degrees positive - with the rear axle Camber leans out the 1~1.5 degree for typical tire rotation cycle that provides more even tire rounding wear..

I hope this is what you needed to know

OP
Tobata_Nagata
City
seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Thread Starter #3
Ya negative camber that’s what I need, whoops! Is that something that an alignment shop could do or is this a diy thing?

OP
Tobata_Nagata
City
seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Thread Starter #4
Another question, has anyone used specific camber bolts? I am looking at a set from whiteline that are for the ST they say they can add -1.5 degrees which sounds just about right for a spirited daily driver. Do you know if these will fit on the base fiesta?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
A pair of camber bolts will give you about 1.5 degrees. I Have used them in the past when I was auto crossing my 2011.
I would say that tire choice and increasing the effectiveness of the front anti sway bar gave me greater improvement than the bolts. Tire pressure is also pretty important. I would recommend that you have a close look at your tie rod ends and the ball joints ! That outside edge tire wear is a symptom of something that isn't as tight as it should be.

OP
Tobata_Nagata
City
seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Thread Starter #6
Cool I will check the ball joints and tie rod ends. Did you upgrade the front sway bar to a stiffer one and did that seem to help with understeer a little? What camber bolts did you run?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I ran SPC EZ cam bolts #81250. Around $25 from the Tirerack. I think I sent them off to Lions Tooth, another member here.
The big thing to make a noticeable impact is going to polyurethane sway bar bushings and adjustable end links.
Maybe Lions Tooth can weigh in on the camber bolt effects if he noticed a difference.
The stock frame bushes are a weak spot in the fiesta, made from a very spongy rubber compound that is not a "performance handling" item at all. Adjustable end links will allow you to really start putting the anti sway bar to work. You don't need to spend money on a thicker diameter bar. IMG_20231010_130358.jpg

OP
Tobata_Nagata
City
seattle
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Thread Starter #10
I purchased the SPC EZ CAM XR bolts so hopefully that will do what i need!