Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford fiesta chirping noise

City
Wiltshire
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford firsta MK7
Hi I am hearing this chirping/squeaking noise from inside my car when Idol. When I press accelerate or drive it goes. Makes no difference with air flow on or off. Any thoughts on what it could be? Cars 3 years old.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Manual / Auto?

Squeak arriving from the front - we've heard from others about this similar effect - one was a manual that seems the gearbox rolled at a given speed when idle and in neutral - when the clutch is engaged to shift - the noise disappears only to reappear when back in low RPM and no-load condition.

Seems this is a gearbox - freewheel rubbing on stationary or fixed gear on input shaft - condition of free-play and slop in the engine input side of the transmission. The gears churn and oil and the wear drag on the box and some gears will spin at a given rate and their interference and syncro gear turning too on the input shaft - right next to another gear that is stationary - might (or seems to fit the facts) be the cause of this as a rubbing noise until load or motions of the box upsets the dynamics of the gear free-play.

It's like a resonance - almost a whistle.

Not sure of a solution - even a motor mount swap might not help.

OP
S
City
Wiltshire
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford firsta MK7
Thread Starter #3
Manual. Only when ideal. When tap acelerate to add power the noise goes its sounds like rubbing. I have a video won’t let me load on here.

one thing I read on the below which has the exact video and sound is that it’s the gear cables rubbing together

https://www.reddit.com/r/FordFiesta/comments/17ejaez/_/kentla8
what’s your thoughts? Also where can I locate the them and access hatch they refer to? Appreciate any support

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
We have several other "offers" to present as ways to think thru this...

Read here.
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/faint-chirping-noise-2013-ford-fiesta-1-0-80hp.9510/post-26772
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/2016-ford-fiesta-1-0-titanium-ecoboost-automatic.9325/post-26091
https://www.fordfiesta.org/threads/...der-the-dashboard-when-idling.8792/post-23671

We've had several posters but no true solution except to try various methods.

Including listening to the "periodic" - the RATE in which the chrip pulses thru.

Why? Because of several ways the squeal can occur - mostly from belt and rub issues onto a whistle caused by intake vacuum passing thru debris and or cracks in seals - including the Throttle body plate - which if it has not been cleaned - might want to start there - this effort may help dislodge the debris and remove that noise.

The issue of the periodic rate, helps to know which way or timing the chirp occurs. For if the belt causes it, the chirp can be from the bearings onto a shift in the pliable portion of the belt which may have glazed over and now the pulley or roller it presses against now causes the chirp.

IF the periodic can be recorded - then the timestamp on playback can provide the clues - by counting the chirps for a given amount of time - gives you the rate - multiply that by the time recorded to get you to 60 seconds, (Example 10 chirps for 5 seconds - 12 times to get that 60 seconds 12 X 5 so then multiply that chirp count by same value 10 X 12 gives you `~120 chirps. So this result it's not directly related to a divisible amount of crank shaft rotation - but this process will provide an RPM value that if it's 700 - 800 RPM at idle - then the chirp is from the engine - check the plugs. The other rates will mean any portion of the serpentine belt travel that spins can then be used to determine this and observation of the belt tracking and rotation travel can also provide clues as to what causes this chirp.

Last edited: